
Here is what my kitchen looked like this evening! I discovered it's kind of tough to find a space to work with big pieces of fabric in our house. All the DIY tutorials I looked at tonight were made by people with sewing rooms or at least bonus rooms or really, really big dining room tables.
But we made do and I was actually able to do a lot of cutting and pinning fabrics...WITH THE GIRLS AWAKE! I usually only pull out the sewing boxes when they are sleeping, but I've been dying to work with some new fabrics that I bought last week.
Geneva was extremely helpful when it came to moving pieces of fabric around the house...
And after the little girls went to bed, Wendy helped me with a new project I have been wanting to try. Scrap-Flowers made from bits of fabric scraps. I found a tutorial online and together we made three. Wendy had her first experience with threading a needle and putting a few stitches in the flower. She was a natural, and I probably won't be able to keep her away from the fabric after tonight!
All we did to make these little flowers was to layer bits of fabric that we had cut out into messy, flower shapes and then stitch them together...we added buttons in the center to cover up our stitches...and voila!...cute flowers to add to... a sling (or shirt or whatever)! I'm going to pin one on a ring sling I made using these colors. I LOVE the blue fabric...it is a chinese floral design with a bit of white and hot pink in the design...I think it contrasts really nicely with the solid pink! We'll see how the final product turns out...but here's my 'pile'...
I'm making a set of items...a ring sling, pouch for the ring sling, four burp cloths (with super soft fabric I bought online), and a small zipper pouch. Unfortunately I ran out of both these kinds of fabric, so need to buy more, and then I plan on also making a nursing cover to match. I am also working on a few baby carriers for my soon-to-be-born nephew, Cooper! I'll wait to post those photos until after I've sent them off to America for him.
It's felt good this week to work on some sewing projects. Relaxing, actually.
I just have to post another photo from the week...of the girls, of course! We've been enjoying pleasant weather and have been outside a lot.
(don't worry, Alex is right under them!)



No comments:
Post a Comment