I'm excited to finally begin December and all the excitement and anticipation that comes with it. This year I am hoping to do a 'Jesse Tree' with the big girls. Each day from now until Christmas we will be making an ornament together to help lead us to the celebration of Christ's birth. The idea comes from the prophet Isaiah in chapter 11, verse 1 "There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch from his roots shall bear fruit." The Jesse Tree is hung with ornaments representing Old Testament people and events that lead up to Jesus. We have a kids Bible (The Jesus Storybook Bible) that our girls listen to the audio of each night...in the intro it says 'every story whispers his name'. And that is why we are doing the Jesse Tree. Because Jesus is there...from the beginning. I hope that our girls will grow up with a strong sense of hope as they begin to understand the world around them and know His plan of redemption from the beginning when he created the earth until the end when there will be a new heaven and new earth.
And so today we began...at the beginning!
Genesis 1:1 to 2:3 - In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth...and God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good.
Our ornament - The Earth.
I made basic dough (see links below) and cut circles with a cup. While W and V colored their circle the color of the ocean (which apparently was purple today), I mixed green sprinkles in with the leftover dough and made the continents, which they then pressed onto the top of their 'oceans'. The result was pretty good! Won't last forever, but will certainly last for this month on our tree once we get a Christmas tree!
I hope to blog each day with our verse and ornament. So keep checking back!
Resources:
*Jesse Tree list http://www.jesse-tree.com/jesse_tree.html
*How to make this dough http://www.ehow.com/how_3560_make-ornaments-dough.html
*Jesus Storybook Bible http://www.jesusstorybookbible.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment