Saturday, October 16, 2010

We LOVE North Carolina in the Fall!

This weekend Alex and I took the girls out to do a little hiking around Greensboro. There is a nice greenway (paved trail) that stretches through the north of Greensboro and we entered near Bur-Mil park. I think I read somewhere the greenway is about 20 miles...but that could be an exaggeration. It's quite long, though. Off of the greenway are different hiking trails. Our goal on Friday afternoon was to hike 'The Little Loop', which is a .75 mile hike close the Bur-Mil Park. Not too long, but for little girls with little legs, it was a bit of a challenge! It was a great fall afternoon...not a ton of colored leaves yet, but they were starting to change and it was perfect hiking weather.


Here we are with the girls at the start of our walk...


Geneva enjoyed the trail from the comfort of her back carrier. Pretty cozy!



Ahhh, we finally made it to the trail head. To actually get to the Little Loop trail was a bit of a walk, but the girls were great little walkers and despite a few complaints of tired legs, they managed to walk the whole time!

Vera and Wendy spent most of the time gathering interesting pieces of nature for their 'collection'.

It was a great wildlife viewing day as well. Aside from the usual bugs, birds, and squirrels, we also came across this little Eastern Ribbon Snake in the middle of our trail!


And here you can see the footprints of our most exciting viewing... a white tail deer! Three of them jumped across our path about 20 feet in front of us. It was exciting for the girls to see them so close! Friday night when she went to bed, Vera kept saying 'Daddy, I just love those deer'.

And here is the final photo from the day. I am including it because Vera actually took this picture of Alex and I! Great job, Vera! She held the camera steady and actually got us in the center of the photo!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

What an amazing time to be in the US right now. in the SOUTH especially!!
This post makes my heart happy.