
13% of Ethiopia's population are orphans. This is the highest percentage of any country in the world. I was reading part of Melissa Fay Greene's new book today, titled "There is No Me Without You: One Woman's Odyssey to Rescue Africa's Children." I downloaded the first chapter to read and decide if we want to buy it. We DEFINATELY are buying this book. The author upon reading the staggering statistics of orphans in Africa asked "Who is going to raise 12 million children?" She has adopted two Ethiopian children, and is an advocate for Africa through her writing and visits. I've enjoyed chapter one...she has a nice writing style, pretty easy to read and very captivating. Our first introduction to her writing was an excerpt of an article she wrote for the New York Times. We read it in the book Mission: Africa, which we received this summer as a gift while we were in Uganda. If you have 15 minutes, I would say it is a very worthwhile read. Here is a link to it: http://melissafaygreene.com/pages/afraidsorph.html
No comments:
Post a Comment