Thursday, November 29, 2012

Music and Hard Work at Home

I came across this post...I think I wrote it back in September?  Then I forgot to post it.  So here it is.  It has the feel of a 'beginning of the school year resolution' or 'new years resolution', although I'll be honest, I'm a little tired these days and those 'new school year resolutions' are waning a bit.  But it was a good reminder to myself to keep pressing on and to keep lovingly helping my kids press on...

Most of you know that Wendy Jane has taken up the violin.  And she loves it.  She does not love practicing (what seven year old does?), but she does love the sound of it and loves it when she learns a new song.  Alex and I love it, too...even when it's a little (a lot?) squeaky.  Neither Alex, nor myself, have much going for us musically.  We can sing on key sometimes (Alex more than me) and I played piano once upon a time.  But there is something about having music in our home that just appeals to us at our core.    So we bought an electric piano and I started teaching the girls the basics last year.  We had a friend who is a performer who sings and plays the fiddle and she gave Wendy her first few violin lessons.  When she returned to the US, we found a Chinese teacher who comes once a week for lessons.  It's a lot of work, I'll be honest.  Even kids who are motivated and compliant, like Wendy, find practicing tedious when just beginning.  Let alone Vera, who has trouble sitting still for more than 3 minutes!
But we were recently introduced to The Annie Moses Band.  Six siblings, Juilliard trained, lots of string instruments, folk-classical music.  And fabulous southern accents that remind us of home.  One of our favorite songs:

We've been a bit obsessed with a DVD from an Annie Moses Band concert called 'Pilgrims and Prodigals.'  And so tonight after the kids went to bed (Alex is out at a meeting), I decided to get online and read more about the family.  I discovered that their mom, who is a singer, songwriter, and homeschool mom, has a blog.  Not a huge, blog-every-day type of blog.  But a nice blog with some interesting pictures and stories...and a very interesting interview called " How Do I Raise An Artistic Child?"  A parent asks questions and she answers.  Now, I'm not saying I want my girls at Juilliard, or to be performers or anything, but I would like my girls to love music and know how to play/sing at levels above my own. And I really liked her blog entry/interview.  REALLY liked it.  It's refreshing to have someone speak with conviction.  You can read it here:  
http://robinwolaver.com/how-do-i-raise-an-artistic-child-a-conversation/

Take from it what you will, but I will say I felt so struck by her sense of conviction and matter-of-fact directness.  She talks about the importance of bonding, prayer, hard-work, and humility.   You know what the unmentioned thread that ran through her blog was?  This takes a lot of time and energy from the mom.  As in tons of time and energy.  Extended breastfeeding to promote bonding when they are young?  I've been there and done that...it takes time and energy.  Sitting by your child while they learn how to study, practice, and be a productive little person? I'm currently in the midst of that one, and seriously, it's draining.  But I think the reason she doesn't mention the time and energy isn't because she has forgotten it (though her kids are mostly grown up now), but perhaps it is that there is great joy in the process.  Sitting with Vera listening to her read each word aloud from Magic Tree House books (seriously, I'm going to hide those books from Geneva!  Twice is enough for me!) is not just helping her perfect her phonics and reading, but it is also a bonding time...it is time spent showing her that I love her enough to want her to be an excellent reader and learner.  The same goes for Wendy and Geneva.    It can be tedious...tedious, tedious, tedious.  And it does take the place of other things...a nicer dinner, 'me' time, etc. And, I often don't want to put the work in, to be honest.
But what I took away from her article tonight was less about my children being great musicians, and more about my kids just growing up.  I already know that there will be times when I will fail.  I'll be impatient and I will be selfish.  I will want to give in and give up.  Our focus line with Vera right now is 'We don't stop what we've started until we are done.'  (For anyone who knows our family even a tiny bit, you know this is no small task for my little girl.)  I think Robin Wolaver said it to me tonight in her blog post.  A musician doesn't become great overnight and rarely without a lot of practice and hard work.  And my kids don't grow up overnight (though I'm sure in 20 years I'll feel like they did) and it will take hard work on our part to help them practice the skills of life...of prayer, of study, love, patience, the list could go on.  
Anyway, a few thoughts from this very-tired mommy tonight.  Hoping I still remember what I read tonight when I wake up to my kids in the morning (or middle of the night as it seems to be common this week) and begin another day of learning patience and hard work.

No comments: